Saturday, September 15, 2012

The HHE is here!

Hi guys,

Earlier this week we found out that the HHE would arrive today, Saturday.  It was welcome news during our week of suck.  And it's been a great distraction, getting everything unpacked.  There were about five guys who came and rapidly unloaded and opened boxes, put things on the kitchen counter, etc.  I was able to put some kitchen stuff away while Benjamin had a snack at the breakfast table (which incidentally is where we eat all meals).  But the house was a wreck for most of the day.  When they were done there were still a lot of boxes left, but we knew it would take us a while to get through them so it wasn't a problem. 

It was a long day, lots of lifting and trying to think about where things should go.  I know we put things in storage, but it really doesn't feel like it.  And despite doubling the amount of square footage we have, I really don't think we have more storage space.  The basement in our duplex back in Arlington was truly like Hermione's bag in "Harry Potter".  But it's great to have all of Ben's toys and clothes and everything.  I'm so excited looking at his 2T winter stuff, I just hope it all still fits him.  Not that he's big enough for 3T, but I'm always paranoid about having enough.  Which is why I have 3 bins full of clothes for him, up to 5T.

Here's what the kitchen looked like today right after the guys left.






It's only slightly better now, and there's still lots of mess elsewhere in the house.  But it is amazing to have our TV and PS3 so we can watch movies.  Thomas ordered a VPN-compatible router so we'll be able to stream Netflix and Hulu.  Thank goodness.  And we have AFN (Armed Forces Network) so we watched a little bit of college football this evening, but the Carolina game starts too late, if they're even going to show it.  As soon as the house is settled and everything is in its "final" spot I'll do another walk through to show you how much different it is.  I need to figure out where I want our art to hang, and they'll send someone to do it.  Awesome.

I felt good most of the day, but if I exerted myself too much I would feel it.  Tonight I made myself brownies, which was a nice treat.  I need to give them away now so I don't eat the entire pan in three days.  I'm really glad we have our stuff, and it's nice to have that feeling of home.  But it does make it that much more real, that it will be a long time before we live in the States again.  I know two years isn't terribly long, and looking back many years from now we'll be glad we had this experience.  But it's hard to be away from family and friends, especially with the rough week we've had.  I hope and pray that God will bless this time in Jordan and bring us closer to Him, and together.  

-Rachel  


No comments:

Post a Comment