Sunday, July 29, 2012

Ahh, Saturday

Today was really nice and relaxing.  We all slept in a bit and Thomas ran errands in the morning while Benjamin and I played.  The un-fun news is that Ben is hitting himself a lot when he's angry or frustrated, or sometimes just out of the blue.  And he's hit me and Thomas some, so we're working on amending that behavior.  Pray for us!  We need grace to give it. 

Part of his acting out may have been tiredness, he took a nap right after lunch.  Late afternoon we went to the pool at the embassy, swam for a while and then had dinner at the snack bar.  So fun, and the weather was great.  Hot in the sun, but the water felt good and then resting in the shade was nice.  Once the sun starts to set it gets perfect.  Once Ramadan is over we'll spend some time on the patio.  While the locals are fasting, it's against the law (or at least frowned upon) to be seen eating or drinking, which is why the shades were drawn at the restaurant last week.  I unknowingly broke that rule multiple times when we were walking around and I needed some water.  Muslims in more temperate climates have it much easier.  Yeesh.

The best part of today was deciding to purchase the van Thomas checked out last night.  It's a 1999 Honda Odyssey, which I've been dreaming about getting since the baby came along.  I'll feel a little silly driving just one kid around in it, but it'll be super handy for visitors (easier to get in and out of than the Cruiser) and slightly better on gas, especially for longer trips.  The latest owner has tricked it out with a new DVD player and speakers, new audio setup.  It will be wasted on Benjamin, since he's still rear-facing, but maybe that will make it easier to sell when we leave.  Or maybe we'll keep it, and sell the Cruiser here.  We'll just have to see what happens in two years.  Regardless, I'm so excited to have a car!

This next week I'm hoping we can all be healthy and get in a groove.  I'll try to drive to a couple stores and just figure out the lay of the land.  I'll have to be super defensive and also offensive, no one uses signals, it's all crazy.  But it'll be great to be somewhat independent.  I'll have to get up early though to drop Thomas at work.  But that's probably good too, since I still need to call housekeepers and set up interviews.  Pray that we find an awesome babysitter/nanny who also is a good cook and can clean.  I'm hoping we can land someone who will watch Ben so I can do the Arabic class at the embassy, and also meet Thomas for lunch once a week.  And it would be amazing to see a movie, I'm hoping we can see the latest Batman while it's in theaters.  Eeek!

Oh and speaking of watching stuff, my latest fun show to watch is "Bunheads", it's on ABC Family but comes on Hulu the next day.  (We got a VPN so we can watch Netflix and Hulu even though we're not in the states.  Magic!)  I don't know if any of you enjoyed "Gilmore Girls" but it's by that show's creator, Amy Sherman-Palladino.  Anyway, it's just a cute, light show about a woman who moves to a little town from Vegas and is an ex-dancer, and her mother-in-law who teaches ballet.  There are four high school girls that are also main characters, and it's just a fun 45 minutes.  If you like silly and cute, I think you should check it out.  Other than that we're watching the fourth season of "Breaking Bad", which is awesome, of course.  

What are y'all watching?  There's so much good TV out there now.  I can't wait for the next seasons of Downton Abbey and Sherlock.  We may not even get cable TV here since we're watching stuff on the computer now.  I never thought I could do it, I'm all about screen size, but it's surprising how you can adapt.  But it will be great to get our TV and have the PS3 for watching our movies.  Counting the days! 

-Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment