Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Nothing Much

Hi guys,

Well it's been pretty normal around here the past couple days.  Except... we got my car!!!  Yay!!!

Thomas called me Tuesday while he was at work to say that it was approved and delivered to the embassy.  So he drove it home, and of course there was no gas in it, so later on he took it out to fill it up.  Which was super expensive, but hopefully with my small amount of driving won't be an every-week experience.  It was so nice for him to be able to drive himself to work today, and I picked up Emily and drove to class later this morning.  I'll be sad when their car is delivered, it's been fun to hang out with her twice a week.

In other silly news, I got my boots!  Another yay!  I'd been wanting to be more stylish/put together, hence my wearing makeup on a regular basis.  And using cold cream before bed, like an old lady.  I ordered a few pairs from Zappos, since their shipping and return policy are great.  I tried two on, and one was definitely cuter and fit better, so deciding was easy.  I'll get another pair in the mail sometime soon and just turn around and return them.  But return shipping is totally free, so not a big deal.

I returned the boots this morning before class, then ate lunch with Thomas and Emily afterward.  It's so nice to feel like we're getting more and more settled in.  Now we just need to get my car washed, it is the dirtiest car I've ever seen, outside of one of those gigantic jacked-up trucks that goes mudding.  I asked Thomas if they have car washes here, and they don't.  Your Boab is supposed to do it.  And the first guy who was here when we moved left to go back to Egypt and we don't know if he'll be back.  The replacement Boab isn't as proactive so I don't have high hopes for a clean car anytime soon.

This afternoon Kristin and her oldest boy drove me and Benjamin to the children's museum here in Amman.  It was really nice, like something you'd see in America.  I had no expectations but it turned out to be really fun, Benjamin liked having wide open spaces to run around and buttons to push and lights to see.  Of course I totally forgot to take pictures.  But he had a good time, and it was nice to get out of the house and do something different.  I was totally exhausted when we got back though.

One sad moment, this morning Emily and I were on our way to class and ran into a girl she had met before, we introduced ourselves and they talked about pregnancy, Emily's due in December and the other girl, I think her name is Lauren, she mentioned that she's due in April.  Which is when I would be due, if I hadn't lost the baby.  I thought about it then and it didn't faze me, but dwelling on it this evening has made me sad again.  And I think about a girl I know from back home, whose daughter died very soon after birth (they knew she wouldn't live long) and I read her blog last night about her husband carrying her baby's casket out of the church, because they only needed one pallbearer.  It was too much for me.  And as sad as I am, I'm so grateful to be spared that pain.  But.... I still want another baby.  And it seems so unfair.  That she doesn't have her daughter, and I'm not pregnant.  Man, I didn't mean for this post to be such a bummer.  I guess I just need more faith to trust that God's will is good and perfect.

Hm, from boots to serious grief.  Yikes.  Hopefully the next one will be a little more fun.  And I'll try to take a picture of my boots that doesn't involve an undershirt.  Thomas was so horrified when I posted that picture on Facebook.  Oh well.  This evening I watched a few episdoes of "Freaks and Geeks", one of the best TV shows of all time.  And I've been ogling jewelry on Etsy, which is fun.  So it's been a good day.  Staying positive, mostly.

Over and out.
-Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment