Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Magnet Fun

Well I did it again, dropped the regular blogging "schedule".  Not that there was one, but still I think every-other-day is my goal.  Which means I'm a couple days behind.  On to the news...

So I'm guessing a lot of you recently saw this article about the terrorist plot in Amman.  Pretty scary, but it's nice to know that people are working hard to keep things calm around here.  There's a lot of uncertainty about Syria and now Lebanon but I'm grateful to be in a (somewhat) stable and peaceful country.  I have thought about needing to pack a "go bag" in the event that we're evacuated but haven't done it yet.  But we're safe and doing fine, and we know that no matter what happens God is in control.

On to the fun stuff.  Today (Tuesday) was good, a friend from church came over with her two little boys and the older one, David, played with Benjamin while she and I talked and watched the youngest play.  It was great to have some adult interaction and Benjamin really enjoyed having friends over.  He loves playing with other kids, even though they're usually older and he just sort of follows them around.  But it's nice for him to have the socialization, I need to actually find a regular playgroup or something for him to do.  Or at least go to the park.  Rebecca was saying today that there's one fairly close, so maybe another day we'll try that out.  And the embassy has a park with a bit of grass, so I could always bring him over there some morning before we meet Thomas for lunch.

She and the boys left a little before noon, and we left the same time so we could eat lunch with Thomas.  It was warm again today, we had a few days of nice cooler weather (low 70s) a couple weeks ago, but it's been high 70s/low 80s for the past week.  I'm really missing fall weather, and the changing colors.  Everything here looks the same, still a little green on the palm trees and shrubs but mostly beige.  I'm sure once it gets really cold and the time changes so it's dark really early I'll be sad, but I'm ready to wear my new boots (!) and sweaters and normal fall clothes.  Eventually, I guess.

I recently ordered some alphabet fridge magnets for Benjamin.  He's been interested in the oven and I thought they could keep him occupied while I'm using the oven or stove.  So a couple days ago they came, and he likes them a lot. 

Notice the Carolina Gamecock magnet.  I think it belonged to my brother a hundred years ago.


Putting the "J" back in Benjamin.


Not much else to report, except I got the next book club title in the mail.  We're reading "What Happened to Sophie Wilder" and I don't know anything about it.  I read the first few pages, but it hasn't grabbed me yet.  It's fun to read something totally new without any preconceptions, even though the chance that it's going to be dumb/bad/boring is probably high.  I need to spend more time on Goodreads to get recommendations for new stuff.  I really enjoy silly YA fiction, but I'm not willing to actually pay for it.  Now that I'm ordering books off Amazon I'm going to read less fluff.  Oh, how I miss my Columbia Pike library.  I could troll the electronic offerings of the Arlington library system, but since I don't have an e-reader I would have to read it on my phone.  I did read Mindy Kaling's "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?" memoir/ramblings that way, but because it was so short and in quick bursts, it made sense.  (It's a cute book, and worth it if you enjoy her work on "The Office".)

Any good book recommendations?  Or ones to avoid (equally important)?  I donated my copy of "The Dog Stars" to the little library at the embassy, since it's not something I'd reread.  And I'm all about rereading if something really strikes me.  But that also means I read the same 10 things over and over.  And I'm also becoming that person who lets magazines pile up.  But now I'm off to actually look at my Martha Stewart Living and Real Simple before bed.

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment