Sunday, August 24, 2014

Daniel is One!

Today is Daniel's first birthday. His entrance into the world was documented here, if you're interested.




We had a low-key day, hanging out at home. I picked up Thomas from work and got home to find the Domino's delivery guy at the door. We had a fun pizza dinner (Benjamin's favorite food) and cupcakes for dessert. Benjamin did want one, and then didn't, but at least Daniel enjoyed his.


After a short bath interlude it was present time. I had thought we'd toned down the gifts, but he had a lot to open. This is a good reminder that we need to streamline before Christmas and only have one gift from us (the parents). Daniel didn't seem overwhelmed but Benjamin got a little cranky, despite getting a present of his own from Grandma.


Benjamin "gave" Daniel the racetrack.

It's crack cocaine for babies and kids.

It's a book!


Thanks for the cool rocket and book, Aunt Priscilla and Uncle Trevor!


We gave him a book and some fun little blocks.

Naturally the best part is the wrapping.


Mimi and Papa sent the bug jug and Tobbles!


Benjamin also enjoys the rocket.


The toys are taking over.



It's been a full year with two kids, and even though it's tricky at times, I'm so thankful that God blessed us with Daniel. He's fully boy, loves cruising around and laughing. He's got four teeth on the top and two on the bottom, with two more top teeth almost through.

Someone wants to walk so badly.

As for what we've been up to the past couple months, I decided early in July that it was time to really buckle down and get Benjamin potty trained. We did a full week almost of having a timer go every 10 minutes, then every 15, 20 etc. He's done pretty well, since we'd been reading potty books and had the seat and everything since over a year ago it wasn't a new concept. But man, he still has consistently damp underwear. He'll sit on the potty to poop, and has had only one accident so far. But he'll get busy playing or watching a movie and just have a big spot. I have to tell him to go sit on the potty, which he does, but it's pretty annoying to run through every pair of underwear in a day. (I've ordered more, which should bring us up to about 30 pairs.)

I know it takes time and I'm trying not to let it bother me. I've started putting him in pullups when we leave the house because the stress of changing outfits ten times was wearing on me. Here's hoping when he starts preschool (this week!) he'll see that all his new friends are potty trained and it will click.

School really snuck up on me. I'm excited for him to go and make friends and have a little more structure to his mornings, but it'll be very strange. I'm hoping to take Daniel to some playgroups and I am looking forward to more one-on-one time with him. I think his language is slower to develop because Benjamin is constantly talking to me and I feel like any time it's quiet I just want to enjoy it and not create conversations with the baby. But I know I need to make the effort and it'll be easier when I'm not running to help Benjamin with the potty.

Eleven months to go! We need to get started on our Jordan experiences. And there's still time left for you to visit! We cleaned the guest room today, so book your tickets.

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment